Courtesy Iberia Parish CVB
Magic on Main in New Iberia
One more weekend during which Santa Claus proves what a magical old elf he is by appearing as the guest of honor in simultaneous Christmas events taking place at various locations all around the region. Here's a listing of parades, open houses, and other seasonal events to add sparkle to your season.
• Caroling in the Park, Baton Rouge: Mark your calendars for this BREC event, featuring a park-lighting ceremony, candle-lit caroling, and a host of other family-friendly activities for all ages. (225) 272-9200. 5:30 pm–8:30 pm at City-Brooks Park. Free!
• Christmas Under the Stars, Slidell: This annual event transforms Griffith Park with thousands of lights, festive decorations, visits from the Clauses, a parade of trees, and a life-sized Christmas village. 6 pm–9 pm on Fridays, December 2 & 9, and Saturdays, December 3 & 10. Free. Myslidell.com.
• New Roads Christmas, New Roads: Festivities include caroling, a visit from Santa, and a Christmas parade, all on Main Street. Noon–8 pm; parade starts at 5:30 pm. Free to attend. (225) 638-5360.
• Downtown Christmas Parade, Baton Rouge. The sixty-sixth annual Cortana Kiwanis Downtown Christmas Parade rolls at 5:30 pm. Each year more than 70,000 people turn out to watch. Typically includes about eighty entries—a mix of marching bands, celebrities, dance troupes, non-profit organizations, and local businesses. christmasinbr.com.
• Magic on Main Christmas Parade, New Iberia: The city holds its annual parade preceded by a Mistleteaux Marketplace, which features a farmers market and food truck festival, free kids activities, arts & crafts vendors, shopping at Main Street retailers, Christmas pajama contest, and lighting of the Christmas tree at City Hall. Enjoy events throughout the day, including a Christmas-themed breakfast, crafts vendors, food trucks, and musical performances. 6 pm parade. Other activities are from 7 am–8 pm. Facebook.com/newiberia.mainstreet.
• Santa on the Bayou: St. Bernard: Santa will provide food, a live Nativity narration, games, face-painting, and toys for all the tots. 11am–2 pm at the St. Bernard Catholic Church, 2805 Bayou Road. (504) 279-4260.
• Yuletide Celebration at the Malus-Beauregard House at the Battlefield, Chalmette: Join living history characters, dressed as residents of the house, as they prepare for the holidays. 10:30 am–3 pm at the Chalmette Battlefield, 8606 West St. Bernard Highway. (504) 281-0510.
• Jeanette Christmas Market, Jeanerette: Come shop for Christmas presents at the Christmas Extravaganza. There will be crafts, locally-grown foods, handmade items, and much more all at the Chamber of Commerce Grounds, 1440 Main Street. In case of inclement weather, the event will be held at the Jeanerette City Park on Tarleton Street. 8 am–noon. (337) 339-3383.
• Christmas Parade, Ponchatoula: Santa is making his last stop in Ponchatoula before Christmas. He will be riding in his sleigh along with floats, marching bands, dance teams, and monster trucks. Parade begins at 5 pm in downtown. Ponchatoulachamber.com.
• Cajun Christmas at Big Branch, Lacomb: Each year Santa and Mrs. Claus make a special visit to the Southeast Louisiana National Wildlife Refuges Visitor Center. Kids of all ages are invited for story time, cookies, and hot cocoa. Time TBA. Free. (985) 882-2025.
• Christmas on the Bayou Festival, Cottonport: On Saturday, fireworks fill the night sky in prelude to the next day’s parade, which rolls through town starting at 1 pm. (318) 876-3485.
• History and Holly: A Candlelight Tour of Historic Homes, Covington: A holiday tour of historic homes, this year's theme is "Then and Now." From 3 pm to 7 pm, visit homes dating back to the turn of the century and homes built within the last ten years, proving that new construction can be successfully incorporated into historic neighborhoods. Tickets are $20 and sold in advance at Braswell Drugs, the Southern Hotel, and Hebert Cleaners. Day-of-event tickets will be available at St. Cecelia Hall, 131 North New Hampshire Street. (504) 442 2254.
• Bernice Street Christmas by Candlelight, Morgan City: Enjoy home decorations, entertainment, refreshments, and Santa. Free to the public, but a donation of a canned good or cash to be distributed to the needy through St. Mary Outreach is requested. 6 pm–9 pm. (985) 384-8003.
• Christmas Tree Festival Open House, Patterson: Join the Wedell-Williams Aviation and Cypress Sawmill Museum for an old-fashioned Christmas celebration. Guests will enjoy refreshments, gorgeous Christmas trees, and seasonal carols. 5:30 pm–7:30 pm. (985) 399-1271.